Woman who drove on freshly painted street lines ordered to repay city | Local News

NEWBURYPORT – A Groveland woman has been ordered to pay the city more than $2,000 in damages after police say she drove over freshly painted lines on the High Street in May 2021, according to records from the Newburyport District Court.

Arlene Barbaro, 63, of Salem Street, admitted on Monday that a judge or jury could find her guilty of careless operation of a motor vehicle and driving on a road closed to traffic. A charge of wanton destruction of property over $1,200 filed by local police was ultimately dismissed.

As Barbaro escaped from jail, Judge Peter Doyle ordered him to repay the city $2,017 and pay $300 in costs and fines.

High Street was closed to traffic on 6 May 2021 between Tyng Street and Olive Street so new street lines could be painted.

In addition to a police officer at both ends of the closure, there was a 12-foot-tall electric road sign advising motorists of the road closure. There were also four large orange barrels completely through the pavement at the two points. Inside the closed area were several trucks and a line-painting machine, according to Officer Kevin Martin’s report.

Despite all those warning signs, Barbaro drove past the police officer on the east side of the closure at about 25 mph and entered the space where the line-painting machine was setting a yellow center line. The officer yelled at him to stop but Barbaro continued driving.

“She kept going, traveling east in the westbound lane through four new lines of thermoplastic lane paint. It should be noted that this paint had only been deposited on the roadway 15 seconds before it traveled over it,” Martin wrote in his report.

Martin, stationed at another part of the closure, ran to Barbaro’s car to stop it before causing more damage or injuring one of the road workers. She passed several completely unconscious workers before stopping. But before that, she had smeared paint on the road and on a curb lane.

“I approached her vehicle and asked her why she had just traveled between two barrels, passed several pieces of equipment and workers endangering their safety, and ignored road signs. She replied ‘I thought I could go around the barrels and cross,’ Martin wrote in his report.

Martin estimated that she had damaged 90 feet of High Street. Due to the damage, the road had to be ground with a grinder to remove the wayward paint, causing more damage to an area that had been paved less than two years earlier, he wrote in his report.

Dave Rogers is editor of the Daily News in Newburyport. Email him at: [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @drogers41008.

Dave Rogers is editor of the Daily News in Newburyport. Email him at: [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @drogers41008.

Comments are closed.