Painting selfie avatars is taking the internet by storm, here’s how to get yours
A new app that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to create a unique profile picture is taking the internet by storm. The NewProfilePic app (also called New Profile Picture Maker) lets you upload your photo and choose from a variety of AI-powered cartoon styles to create a profile picture to suit your mood.
What is NewProfilePic?
The free mobile app is available on the Apple App Store and Google Play. The app creates a cartoon sketch version of your favorite selfie. Perfect for using on your social media accounts to impress your friends. With thousands of reviews already with a 4.8 star rating, users can’t get enough.
“Downloaded this about 10 minutes ago and I’m already obsessed,” said a reviewer on Apple’s App Store.
How does NewProfilePic work?
It is created by Informe Laboratories, Inc. which is also responsible for the recent ToonMe app which has gained worldwide attention for turning photos into a Pixar-style character.
Available in over 100 countries, the company says the app uses the latest artificial intelligence technologies to create a stylized portrait based on real photos.
As with all applications, it is important to understand the privacy policies and use of data you transmit when downloading and using the software.
How to use NewProfilePic?
Looking to refresh your profile picture and wondering what all the hype is about? Create your own AI-powered portrait by following a few simple steps:
- Download the NewProfilePic app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for Android.
- Open the app and follow the instructions to “Choose Photo”
- The app will then ask you for permission to access the images in your personal gallery.
- From there, choose an existing image from your camera roll to create your own cartoon-style image. Here you can also choose a celebrity photo to test features or create custom images of your favorite stars.
- Once you select an image, the app will work its magic and create a custom sketch. Play around with styles and features until you find your favorite. These features are updated frequently so you can check and try new styles anytime.