Boston Society for Architecture Announces Design Award Winners
BOSTON– The Boston Society for Architecture (BSA) announced on 2021 BSA Design award winners.
These annual awards celebrate exemplary projects that advance excellence in architecture and design and demonstrate the power of the built environment to empower communities, promote change, and build a more sustainable and equitable Boston.
“With these awards, the Boston Society for Architecture celebrates more than image in design – we celebrate the transformational role that architecture and design excellence can play in shaping Greater Boston for the better,” said Anda. French AIA, President of the BSA. “We congratulate award-winning architects and designers whose work demonstrates the best in advancing architecture through meaningful engagement with our communities.”
Selected by juries of architects, designers and built environment leaders from Boston and across the country, the 2021 award winners are:
- Harleston Parker Medal: Renzo Piano Building Workshop in collaboration with Payette for the renovation and expansion of the Harvard Art Museums
Since 1921, the Harleston Parker Prize has been awarded to “the finest piece of architecture, building, monument or structure within the city limits”.
- Harleston Parker People’s Choice Award: Abacus Architects + Planners for Jefferson Park Apartments
Winner of a survey of over 1,000 members of the Boston architectural community.
- Accessible Design Award: Abacus Architects + Planners for Weinberg House
- Higher Education Facilities Design Award: Ann Beha Architects for Student Learning Commons
- Hospitality Design Award: PCA for The Revolution hotel
- Housing Design Award (in partnership with the American Institute of Architects New York): Handel Architects for The Essex at Essex Crossing
- Small Business Design Awards
- BOS|UA for the renovation of the conservation of the emerald necklace
- BOS|UA with Rukamathu.Smith for the headquarters of Public Radio Exchange (PRX)
- Sustainable Design Award: Payette for Science and Engineering Complex
- Honor Award for Design Excellence: Leers Weinzapfel Associates for the Harvard University District Energy Facility
- BSA Honorary Prize: Rodolfo Machado and Jorge Silvetti
- BSA Commonwealth Prize: Mayor’s Office of New Urban Mechanics / Mayor’s Housing Innovation Lab
- BSA Earl R. Flansburgh Young Designers Award: Parke MacDowell AIA
- Honorary BSA Member: Shauna Gillies-Smith ASLA
For more information on citations and reward levels, please visit the 2021 Awards Website. the BSA will honor all winners and entrants at a celebration later this year as the annual awards gala has been postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
the BSA thanks all the sponsors whose partnership supports excellence in the built environment:
- Honorary Awards Sponsor: Poole Professional
- Bronze Sponsors: Existing Conditions Surveys, Inc.; Huber Engineered Woods with AdvanTech, ZIP System and Exacor; and Microsol resources
- Supporting Sponsors: BEHR Pro; Local 534 of the Plasterers and Cement Masons of Boston; Copley Wolff Design Group; Dimeo; Lam partners; North Light IT; RealFood Hospitality, Strategy and Design; Photograph by Robert Benson; and SCB.
– Advertising –